Google recently published a new guidance on writing reviews to ensure that these reviews will meet the search engine’s quality threshold.
Google recommends meeting the following criteria when creating product reviews:
- Include helpful in-depth details, like the benefits or drawbacks of a certain item, specifics on how a product performs or how the product differs from previous versions
- Come from people who have actually used the products, and show what the product is physically like or how it’s used
- Include unique information beyond what the manufacturer provides — like visuals, audio or links to other content detailing the reviewer’s experience
- Cover comparable products, or explain what sets a product apart from its competitors
Since launching the first product algorithm update it hasn’t always been clear whether it applies to reviews of singular products, or reviews containing lists of multiple products.
Google confirms the product review updates do apply to ranked lists and comparison reviews.
“Yes. Product review updates apply to all forms of review content. The best practices we’ve shared also apply. However, due to the shorter nature of ranked lists, you may want to demonstrate expertise and reinforce authenticity in a more concise way. Citing pertinent results and including original images from tests you performed with the product can be good ways to do this.”
If you’re writing a review of multiple products with the intention to recommend a “best” product overall, Google has additional guidance.
When recommending a product as the best overall, or the best for a certain purpose, be sure to include the following information in your review:
- What sets the product apart from others in the market
- Why is the product particularly suited for its recommended purpose?
- First-hand evidence to support your claims
GET TO THE TOP!
If you have questions or concerns about your online presence give Stratedia a call at 860.415.0430 or visit us online at stratedia.com. We‘re ranked #1 as the top seo company CT by Clutch.co! Let Stratedia help you, GET TO THE TOP!